July 17, 2016

PyGamma Code Sprint in Heidelberg

As I didn’t get the founding for my working visit to Germany I decided to combine working during a trip and getting to know tourist attractions. Before this trip Germany for me was associated with The Second World War (films like Shindler’s List, The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas, such historical places as Berliner Mauer, Treptower Park,  Reichstag) and not less tragic places in my country.

Of course, the main reason why I had a trip to Germany was my participation in PyGamma coding sprint 2 at MPIK, Heidelberg.




This trip was planned with the aim of deeper understanding of work to be done and improving the quality level of its implementation. PyGamma coding sprint gave me the opportunity to plan in more detail for accomplishment goals and targets. Real communication with mentors and another gammapy developers improved efficient contributing. I got an opportunity to get acquainted with other core developers of gammapy, learned more about astronomy programming, learned more how my gsoc project used in the other parts of gammapy, took part in discussions and development of the main gammapy API. Face­-to-­face coding showed the environment in the company and gave an opportunity for me to learn more. As a result I had faster progress.  I think, it was very useful working trip. It’s very important to have such opportunity of such style of work. With help of it you feel your own importance in project. 

During the codding week I with my mentors Cristoph and Axel did the following PRs: 
The atmosphere was a huge stimulatory factor for working. When you had a questions you didn’t need to wait a long period of time for answers on email. It really gave me faster progress. 


As for me, the MPIK is situated in a mysterious forest which looks like the forests from the game Skyrim.

 


















I was very glad to meet my mentors. They are very kind, responsive and hard-working people. Most of the time I was working with Cristoph Deil. He is attentive and clever man. The effectiveness of my work depends on his ability to define and  explain the aims and goals of  solving tasks.

My mentor Christoph Deil
My mentor Axel Donath





















When I arrived in Heidelberg and mingled with people, I understood that this town is not only for working.  Heidelberg is a frozen history in time.




When I first walked from the street I noticed that there were huge amount of bicycles.

Many cycles
Print Media Academy
Heidelberg is home to around 150,000 people. This cosmopolitan, friendly, people-oriented and vibrant university city is made up of 15 distinct neighborhoods and is particularly attractive to families, students, those in the creative industries, business people, and academics and researchers. Heidelberg Castle is a ruin in Germany and landmark of Heidelberg.

Heidelberg's old city centre from the castle above
The castle ruins are among the most important Renaissance structures north of the Alps. It is situated on the 80 meters side-hill. The first mention of it dated on 1225 year. If you want to get to the castle you should overcome 303 stairs. In basement level of the castle the biggest wine barrel is being kept (it was made in 1751 year).

I and The Castle

The Heidelberg Castle Powder Turret
Castle inside

The old bridge and the town sculpture with function “for money”.

The "bridge mandrill" next to the gate
The most delicious ice cream I have ever tasted.



The center of Heidelberg old town and beautiful statue of Kornmarktmadonna.



And also some selfies with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment