June 12, 2016

Less paperwork, hard brainstorming!..


Here is the end of the third week of my coding for Gammapy. The hard times has been started for me: my participation in GSoC is crossing with examinational weeks in my university. I should show myself as best as it possible in the both spheres. That's why I try to plan very carefully my work shedulle because I want to pass my university exams succesfully and continue to improve gammapy. But I really missed one nessary detail of my participation in GSoC: I totally forgot about reporting my progress during the last three weeks. So I’d like to make up for this now.





Everything was fine at the preparation phase. I investigated the project in the whole and packages with which I should to work with. I got acquainted with my mentors. They are Christoph Deil and Johannes King. They are very kind, wonderfull and responsible people which like the work they do. I impressed by their capability to work hard on the project even after the exhausting working days. Such devotion for favorite occupation inspired me. It has been well said that german like hardworking!

And now let's talk about my progresses for the last working weeks.

During the first week I have started to work on the following tasks: removing solid_angle function from image\utils.py and test from image\tests\test_utils.py, looking through all the usages of this function, updating it with help of SkyMap.solid_angle() and also spliting SkyMap.read() into read() and read_hdu(image_hdu), fixing all usages of SkyMap.read() function.

At the beginning of the second working week all of this tasks finished and the created PR's merged. Also the task "Move separation into skymap class and add unit test" which was started in the preparation phase was done and merged. The new task was to improve SkyMap.coordinates: split out pixel coordinates into a separate method SkyMap.pix_coordinates(mode=’center’). The coordinates method was simplified: always returns sky coordinates as a SkyCoord object, also the coord_type argument was removed, because for a SkyCoord it’s easy to access .radec or .galactic if the caller wants. The docstring, tests and usages of SkyMap.pix_coordinates() was updated too. As you can see, this problem was done and its PR was merged. Also I should improve solid_angle method. I am working on this task now and will tell you more about it in the next post.

My future progress will be posted in my blog on the next weekend.

1 comment:

  1. Great work Olga!
    I hope your exams have gone all perfectly fine :)

    By the way, add links to the posts to the pull requests, to documentation, to the peoples websites... that's what the web is for, right? to have links everywhere. That will help the readers to get a better understanding of which PR you are talking or to learn more about your mentors.

    Keep the hard work!! and have fun with it!!!

    ReplyDelete